Wednesday, April 9, 2014

currently reading...


What's on your reading list? I'm on the last few pages of Delivering Happiness, Zappos CEO Tony Hseih's book, which had been on my to-read list for a long time - it's really fantastic. I totally relate to Tony's passion to build something that touches peoples' lives and love that he explicitly called this drive a "calling." Also interesting to learn about how Zappo's extremely family-oriented culture came about.

On my to-read list: I just got my pre-order kindle copy of Marina Keegan's posthumous collection of essays and stories called The Opposite of Loneliness. I stumbled upon her site on my Facebook newsfeed and was really saddened by her story -- she passed away in a car accident only 5 days after her graduation from Yale undergrad in 2012; what she left behind are incredibly courageous, moving stories that are compiled in this collection. I read her story "Cold Pastoral" in the New Yorker and really admire how boldly vulnerable her writing is (without being melodramatic). 

Lastly, I'm trying to get started on (again) and complete (hopefully) Tim Keller's Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God's Work, which provides a great perspective of why work is important and a gift from God. Keller is my incredibly wise church pastor and I've read his books before, but since there is SO much great content, I always need the extra push of discipline to get through each book. Here goes!

(Photo via Freshome)

2 comments:

  1. “..she passed away in a car accident only 5 days after her graduation from Yale undergrad in 2012” – What a sad story! It’s really depressing when great and inspirational writers stopped sharing their works due to illnesses and death. I hope her death was given justice. At least her fans will be comforted with that. Anyway, I’ll check out the book that you’re reading. It’s interesting. :)

    Robert Noa

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just finished up a sermon series on this and Tim's book was the basis for our bible studies! Great stuff for the Christian working professional.

    ReplyDelete

Do share!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...