Monday, April 6, 2009

feeling bookish

"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of my tongue taking a trip to three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta." -- Nabokov.


(photo via lolitas)

I first read Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov, in my junior year of high school, and was instantly drawn, after that first sentence, to the combustible language and thrilling but creepy storyline... though I can never look at girly lingerie again without thinking it's a little "Lolita-esque." Yikes!

It's been awhile since I've reread the book, so I had no idea until now that it is also known for its many creative covers! This one (above) is my favorite -- very cutely balancing the book's more complicated contents. Also, I am such a fan of Martin Amis (I literally wrote three papers on him -- he is a master of the English language), and love the quoted inset!

2 comments:

  1. I was going to buy this last week... but then I decided to hold off and read it this summer. I know it's supposed to be very perverted.

    decided to get 1984 instead. a solid, intelligent read... but still with a little pervertedness sprinkled throughout

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's perverted, but brilliant ;)

    ReplyDelete

Do share!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...