Thursday, January 14, 2010

the thrifting game

Some people gamble, others skydive or bungee jump, but I get my thrills from thrift shopping. Passionately and often. Because thrifting is undeniably thrilling.



It's a sport, a hunt, in which you must find the best bargain before your equally stylish, sharp-eyed competitor. And it's a game that requires superb judgment, immense physical stamina, and true understanding of oneself. Like any skill, constant practice makes perfect. Soon enough, you may just find yourself in the big leagues, fighting over 1 euro scarves and tunics in the Paris vintage markets like the thrift princess you are. (PS: All the cool girls, AKA moi, go here.)



Like in every other game, thrifting has its rules: buy it if you love it and drop it if it stinks. Which means, keep what you absolutely cannot live without, and move away from the ratty, pit-stained, moth-ridden rag! (Even if it's Gucci! Just don't do it!)



As your skills accumulate (o.2 seconds to discern crap from pure gold) and prizes amass (YSL wool skirt? Betsy Johnson silk vest? Check. Check.), sit back and bask in the glow of your very eccentric closet. And then go ahead and blog about it. (I would love to hear!) Tell all your friends. Because the best part about the thrifting game is showing off your loot!

*Some new thrifted goodies in my closet, from me to you. That's my third pair of cowboy boots -- I'm addicted!

11 comments:

  1. Ha ha, you sum up thrifting perfectly! That bright floral dress in the middle is stunning, great thrift! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my GOODNESS--I have those cowboy boots! and I love the bright floral. Thanks for your sweet words on my blog!
    xo
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love thifting too, great explanation! Those boots were a great find!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog! That necklace is from my shop, dores.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha so true and hilarious!

    ps. i always wanted to go to NYU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore thrifting...but sadly we don't really have any shops that I like in Tampa, so I have to get my fix when I travel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would looove a pair of cowboy boots already worn in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You didn't thank the professional lighting girl. :( Lol jk Hope your trip up is safe and excitingggg!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks like uve found some great pieces:) the floral top is so cute!

    TheOwlsCloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL - I never thought of thrifting exactly in this way before, but you're so right! Loving your blog too my new friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just the information I am finding everywhere. Thanks for your blog, I just subscribe your blog. This is a nice blog.. f95zone

    ReplyDelete

Do share!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...